Thursday, April 23, 2009

Defining "Bigotry"

I tossed around the word "bigot" in the last post a lot, and it occurred to me that it's a rather strong word, and I should define my terms. So, here goes:

Morbidly obese 85 year olds: Do you want to watch them fuck? I certainly don't.

I'd probably lose my lunch if I had to watch a pair of geriatric Jabbas bump uglies. I'd rather watch something more palatable, like cows being slaughtered or a Faces of Death video. Does that make me a bigot? Nope.

Despite my physical revulsion, I think that hugely fat old people have just as many rights as anyone else. They have every right in the world to get married, hold hands, and call each other "shnookums." I may be kind of an asshole for finding their coitus less than inspiring, but that doesn't make me a bigot. If someone wanted to denigrate them as degenerates, though, or take away their right to fuck, hold hands, get married, or in any way be considered less of a person in any kind or real way, that's bigotry.

I don't think that finding gay sex icky makes you a bigot. I'm sure that lots of gay people find straight sex icky, and that's perfectly fine. However, bigotry comes when people want to translate personal ickiness into something like law or social policy. Fortunately, though, fewer and fewer people want to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment