Thursday, April 9, 2009

Stag-tastic!

Here's a local Portland issue near and dear to my heart- the fate of the White Stag sign. I've always loved this thing, ever since I was a kid and was delighted to see the neon light up in the night while I rode in the back of my parents' car. At Christmas, the stag's nose glowed red, and I thought that was pretty awesome, too. I don't think that my experience is unique. Just about everyone who grew up in Portland has come to love this sign, which is why there's such a fracas about how to preserve it.

It originally advertised White Stag Sugar, and then White Stag Sportswear. Long after both of those companies went out of business, the sign remained up, glowing in the night advertising nothing. I remember a while back when the city was considering removing the sign due to costs, and Made in Oregon bought the advertising space, saving the sign, until recently, when its fate came up again. Once again the city discussed scrapping the thing, until the University of Oregon agreed to buy up the space. I think that this is great. Absolutely ideal, and everyone who's complaining about it should shut up for the following reasons:

-Condemning the sign would suck. The thing is a Portland icon, and everyone who grew up here would miss it. Don't pretend you don't care about it. You'd look into the emptiness of Old Town and weep at the emptiness. I would, you would, everyone would. I'd rather use a puppy as a soccer ball than tear down that thing.

-The sign, though, isn't cheap. A huge neon sign takes upkeep. It was an advertisement originally, so it's entirely reasonable for it to be an advertisement again, and hopefully produce some revenue for the property owners.

-The advertisers should have some local connection. The sign is a Portland landmark, and should proclaim something Portland-y with it's blinking lights.

-The University of Oregon is the perfect buyer for the sign. Yes, the U of O is in Eugene, and yes, there are lots of Portlanders who didn't go there. But, there's a Duck Shop in the building below the Stag, thus making the sign an actual advertisement for what it's actually above. Moreover, I was never thrilled about Made in Oregon owning the sign. Have you ever been in a Made in Oregon? I like the idea of the store, of stuff produced here. But most of what you find in those shops is uninspiring tourist crap. When I think of things that are made in Oregon, I think of Intel chips, Chuck Palahaniuk books, stuff published by Dark Horse, indy rock, and beer. Made in Oregon shops do not have these things. They have hazelnuts and wood carvings. That stuff is all well and good, but it doesn't really say "Oregon" to me.

The U of O, though, is something that has made an appreciable percentage of Portlanders better people, me included. How many Portlanders do you think "found themselves" in a Made in Oregon shop? Probably two. The U of O, though- man, that's a place where seriously profound shit is discussed. That's a place that molds the brains of the Rose City citizenry.

So, I think that the University buying the sign is a complete upgrade. Having one of the most recognizable landmarks in Portland advertise the largest academic institution in the state, as opposed to a kitschy shop where you can buy postcards, is more than appropriate. So I say: Yay White Stag sign! Yay U of O buyin the White Stag sign!

And if you don't like it, just wait another ten years. Someone else will have bought it by then.

3 comments:

  1. Can we also point out that the wood carvings in Made in Oregon stores are myrtle wood? They're hideous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, the only college football game I ever went to was, coincidentally, Cal beating the Ducks. Mercilessly.

    Anyway, sounds like I need to check the place out. Hopefully I'll catch you there when I finally check it off my list of places to hang out for a bit.

    ReplyDelete