Sunday, April 12, 2009

Paper Werewolves of Pure Awesome

Every so often I've had conversations with people that start with something like "Wouldn't it be awesome if..." whereupon some grand idea is described, and not acted upon. Too bad, really. The members of Nightshade, though, must have had a conversation at some point that went like this: "Hey, guys, wouldn't it be awesome if we put on a creepy shadow puppet show about haunted houses, ghosts, ancient tomes of dark lore, S&M demons, blood sacrifice, and werewolf cultists? Wouldn't that be awesome?"

Except Nightshade, apparently, actually did it. I saw their puppet show earlier this evening, and it was basically the coolest shit that I've seen in a while. The whole event was a big, gothy, hilarious, awesome spectacle, complete with dog vivisection and a creepy rabbit costume. I was thrilled, and at the end of the performance gave a very genuine "Woo!"

By definition you can't fake authenticity, and it's authenticity that really makes the difference between a good performance and a great one. These people gave a shit. They had their paper monsters and spooky sound effects, and you could tell that they were performing their hearts out with them, having a great time. I thought "Wow, this is a bunch of really intelligent, creative people who love the fuck out of werewolves. So much so that they're putting on a hilarious show featuring a lycanthrope-inspired armageddon." I admire that kind of stuff. I really do. I love seeing people inspired and enthusiastic, all fired up about stuff. It was one of the best evenings I've had in a while, and it featured teenage demon puppets talking about Twitter. If they put together another show, I'm definitely catching it.

1 comment:

  1. I go with you. I've gone ahead and become a follower of their blog. The pictures look really cool.

    ReplyDelete